Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Another sign?

So, obviously (obviously, based on the title of this blog) my long-term goal is to get myself to and through an Ironman.  Considering I'll only be running my first marathon this fall, and I actually haven't done any triathlons at all yet, I know it's going to take awhile, but I have some interim goals in mind.

The plan so far:
  • Summer 2016 - Sprint tri (already signed up, happening August 7)
  • Fall 2016 - Marathon (again, already signed up, happening October 30)
  • Spring/Summer 2017 - 3-5 Sprint and Oly distance tris
  • Fall 2017 - First Ironman 70.3!
  • Spring 2018- Second Ironman 70.3
  • Fall 2018 - First Full Ironman!!!
I have a pretty good idea of which sprints and Olys I want to try, and there are a ton of options at that distance for me within about a one hour drive of where I live, but I've had a harder time figuring out my target 70.3 - the closest ones tend to be in the spring rather than the fall, and because I know I'm more likely to stick to consistent, time-consuming training during the spring/summer (when I can get everything except the swimming done outside), I know fall is a more realistic target date for me for my first half-iron, especially because I'm going to want to make sure I show up as trained as possible (I already know I'm not going to be fast, so if I'm not in top-form I'll likely be in danger of a DNF). 

With that in mind, I've been monitoring the 2017 70.3 calendar for awhile, trying to figure out what would make the most sense as a goal race, and feeling kind of frustrated to not have as many options as I would've liked in my little corner of North America.  And then?  Ironman announced Lake Placid 70.3!  I'll be honest, reading about it felt like a sign that I am on the right track.  I am SO.  EXCITED. for the possibility of LP being my first 70.3 - while it's not "close" to where I live, it's a reasonable driving distance (no bike shipping logistics!), and it's a region I've visited before and absolutely love (plus, it's a region I can go to for a quick overnight training trip to practice swimming/biking/running the terrain a few times over the summer leading up to the 70.3, which seems like it would be a good plan).  I also have a friend who has traveled to LP for the full Ironman as a volunteer before, so I have a little "inside scoop" on what to expect.  I'm now patiently eagerly nervously extremely impatiently awaiting September 9, when they expect to open general registration for LP 70.3 - Fingers crossed I get a spot!  (And fingers crossed I make it to the start line - I've got a heck of a journey in front of me between now and then!)

No comments:

Post a Comment